a dream project

I have been collecting brief descriptions of recent actual dreams, all of which are included here. I am not interested in analyzing them, but simply curious about the experiences we have while our minds and bodies are at rest.


In the process of collecting these dream stories, I was inspired to make A Thousand Threads, a limited edition, screen-printed book. It contains short, meditative poems I wrote by interweaving the dream fragments of others with my own dream imagery.


This project was part of The Spaces in Between, a solo exhibition curated by Susanna Meiers, February 14 – March 11, 2011, at the El Camino College Art Gallery in Torrance, CA.


To see all of the book pages or contribute a dream story, please go to www.betsylohrerhall.com. Thanks!




Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dara Brady -- Treasures Pushed to the Surface


Erika and I figured out we could buy a house, a huge house, for $500,000, because it had multiple rental spaces. My old boss from Chicago, Shanna, lived in the one apartment. The house was in St. Louis in the city with every building made with bricks. Next thing I know, I'm patting fires out. The whole house and rental spaces are burnt to the ground except the wooden corner posts (8 x8's) which I'm furiously trying to save. The location is no longer in the city; I’m on the bluff by my parents’ house. Erika comes up and asks why I'm bothering to save the bit of the house that's left. I explain that we can use it to rebuild. As I'm talking to Erika a huge round orange circle emerges from a tree off in the distance behind her. She's still talking, but I'm no longer listening. I'm focused on the circle trying to figure out if it's the sun. She stops talking and turns to see what I'm looking at. She says, “Wow, look at the sun!" It then falls from the sky through the trees and out of sight below. Then it bounces back up with a splash of golden heat. I realize it is a volcano erupting in the river. I get on snorkeling gear and jump in the creek, which leads to the river. When I get under the water I begin to gather golden leaves. They're leaves from the trees, covered in gold leaf. They're coming from down stream. I collect a bunch and then decide I want to scuba dive near the eruption because all of the secrets, treasures of past times, are being pushed up to the surface and being caught instantly by other people. I get dressed and go to this building which has a dock off the back leading to the source. In the building are jewelry booths.  I head towards the dock and a man refuses to let me go in because only men are allowed to dive. 

That's all I remember...

Dara Brady
December 10, 2010 in our house in Altadena, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment