a dream project

I have been collecting brief descriptions of recent actual dreams, all of which are included here. I am not interested in analyzing them, but simply curious about the experiences we have while our minds and bodies are at rest.


In the process of collecting these dream stories, I was inspired to make A Thousand Threads, a limited edition, screen-printed book. It contains short, meditative poems I wrote by interweaving the dream fragments of others with my own dream imagery.


This project was part of The Spaces in Between, a solo exhibition curated by Susanna Meiers, February 14 – March 11, 2011, at the El Camino College Art Gallery in Torrance, CA.


To see all of the book pages or contribute a dream story, please go to www.betsylohrerhall.com. Thanks!




Thursday, February 17, 2011

Betsy Lohrer Hall - A Long Way From Where I Aimed For


I went to Holly’s apartment for a visit. (In my waking life, she lives less than a block away from where I live in Long Beach.)  It was a large building with a narrow corridor leading from the lobby to an elevator. The hallway and corridor were very dark. It was daylight outside, but it became night in the building. There was a doorman in the elevator (and the elevator was much larger than the one that is actually in her building). All of us in the elevator were whisked up quickly to another level of the building and placed straight onto a conveyor that took us to Seal Beach, several miles away. Seal Beach looked much like a fun zone, something like Coney Island or Balboa. I tried to call Holly, but my phone wouldn’t work. I was more than two hours late at this point, and had no way to reach her to let her know where I was.

Note: the morning after I had this dream I spoke with Holly on the phone. She said she’d tried to call me the night before, but the call wouldn’t go through.

Betsy Lohrer Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment