a dream project

I have been collecting brief descriptions of recent actual dreams, all of which are included here. I am not interested in analyzing them, but simply curious about the experiences we have while our minds and bodies are at rest.


In the process of collecting these dream stories, I was inspired to make A Thousand Threads, a limited edition, screen-printed book. It contains short, meditative poems I wrote by interweaving the dream fragments of others with my own dream imagery.


This project was part of The Spaces in Between, a solo exhibition curated by Susanna Meiers, February 14 – March 11, 2011, at the El Camino College Art Gallery in Torrance, CA.


To see all of the book pages or contribute a dream story, please go to www.betsylohrerhall.com. Thanks!




Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gabrielle Dorr - One Eyed Cat


In my dream my cat Shanti lost one of her eyeballs.  It just came out and there was an empty socket where the eyeball once sat.  I spent the rest of the dream trying to clean the eyeball and put it on ice in a small container.  I was hoping in the dream that the eyeball would stay alive so that it could be easily placed back where it came from.  Shanti didn't seem to be bothered much by the fact that one of her eyeballs was missing; she just kept staring at me with her one eye while I was running around trying to save the eyeball.  When I awoke I looked up the meaning of this dream in "The Dreamer's Dictionary."  It is always challenging to do this because the book is organized by themes.  You have to pick one theme and read that section.  I usually choose the thing that was most disturbing.  In this case it was the missing eyeball.  I found the theme titled "Eyes" and quickly read its meaning: “Strange or disembodied eyes in a dream are considered a prediction of a very beneficial change of events soon to come.” Then I read on.  “Animal eyes are a sign of hidden rivalry or jealousy in your close circle.” So, which one do I believe?  Well, I quickly thought, Shanti is my cat so she is almost like family.  If it was an animal I didn't know then I would probably believe the latter meaning.  I am going with the optimistic meaning for now until another dream tells me otherwise... 

Gabrielle Dorr
October 24, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment